I haven’t written anything that was just plain sci-fi here for a while (and in theory The Core Worlds is supposed to have some non-gaming related content on it). Nor have I partaken in a meme for a goodly while, so to counter that (and to delete one of my clippings in my news reader without feeling even the slightest twinge of guilt) here are my answers to a bunch of Doctor Who questions (via Allyn Gibson).
1. When did you start watching and why?
It was so long ago that I was too young to remember. I became a regular viewer during McCoy’s penultimate season.
2. What was your first serial/episode?
I have vague memories of being terrified by Peter Davison fighting his way through the TARDIS in Castrovalva.
3. Which serials/episodes have you seen?
All of them except for Marco Polo, Sensorites, Reign of Terror, Planet of Giants, Rescue, Romans, Web Planet, Crusade, Space Museum, Galaxy 4, Mission to the Unknown, Myth Makers, Daleks’ Master Plan, Massacre, Celestial Toymaker, Gunfighters, Savages, War Machines, Smugglers, Tenth Planet, Power of the Daleks, Highlanders, Underwater Menace, Moonbase, Macra Terror, Faceless Ones, Evil of the Daleks, Abominable Snowmen, Ice Warriors, Enemy of the World, Web of Fear, Fury from the Deep, Wheel In Space, Dominators, Krotons, Space Pirates, War Games, Colony In Space, Underworld, Creature from the Pit, Shada (the original), Twin Dilemma, Paradise Towers, and Delta And the Bannermen.
4. Are your friends/family interested in the show?
Most of my friends are to some degree of another. Most of my family can take it or leave it.
5. Which Doctor is your favourite?
McCoy, despite some of the awful scripts he had to face.
6. Which Doctor is your least favourite?
Tough one. Purely from a characterisation point of view, I’d say David Tennant – but that comes mostly from scripts that portray him as a hypocrite.
7. Which TV companion is your favourite?
How could it be anyone but Adric?
OK, I’m kidding. Ace, or Romana II, or maybe Zoe.
8. Which TV companion is your least favourite?
Adric, with Tegan as a close run second.
9. Do you listen to the Big Finish audios?
9a. If so, which is your favourite?
9b. Also: which Big Finish companion is your favourite?
Charlotte Elspeth ‘Charley’ Pollard
10. Have you listened to any non-Big Finish audios?
10a. If so, which is your favourite?
The Faction Paradox series. Don’t make me pick a specific one, they are all really good.
11. Have you read any of the novels or short stories?
Most of them.
11a. Have you written any of the novels or short stories?
There might be a couple of unofficial drabbles out on Usenet somewhere, but they don’t count.
11b. Which is your favourite?
It used to be The Eight Doctors, I was young, its a jolly romp. Now? Blood Harvest, there’s just something special about the 7th Doctor running a speakeasy.
12. Have you read any of the comics?
12a. You guessed it–which is your favourite?
None were memorable enough to leave an impression on me.
13. Do you watch any of the spinoffs (e.g. Torchwood, Sarah Jane Adventures)?
13a. Which is your favourite?
The Sarah Jane Adventures … it tends to have the most mature plots.
14. Is there any particular episode/book/audio/comic you desperately want to watch/listen to/read?
The Daleks’ Master Plan. It sounds fun.
15. Do you write fanfic for Doctor Who?
I’ll wrote an occasional drabble, but that was many years ago.
15a. If so, post a snippet of a work-in-progress (or several)!
No works in progress, Usenet might turn up some of my old material.
16. Do you create Doctor Who icons?
The world doesn’t need Doctor Who icons.
16a. Let’s see a sample!
17. Recommend a fanfic/icon/fanvid/fancomic/fancreation!
I’ve been out of touch with fan created material for years.
18. Have you been to any Doctor Who conventions?
19. Have you ever dressed up as a Doctor Who character?
20. Do you own any Doctor Who merchandise?
There is a TARDIS shaped USB hub set up to let leads reach from my PC to my printer, and I have a copy of Battle For The Universe around somewhere.
21. Are you a fan of Russell T. Davies?
I like a lot of what he does (Midnight was very good), and it’s great that he got Who back on our screens … but he can’t write science fiction and Journey’s End was utterly dreadful.
21a. Steven Moffat?
He can do no wrong.
21b. Paul Cornell?
The man who gave us Benny Summerfield. He isn’t Steven Moffat, but he’s the next best thing.
22. What say you to Season 6b?
Works for me.
23. The UNIT dating controversy?
A side effect of the Time War.
24. The Blinovitch Limitation Effect?
A very silly idea.
25. Multi-Doctor episodes?
Let’s just ignore The Two Doctors and focus on the fun ones. Hopefully we’ll get to see an 8th Doctor appearance in the next few years.
26. What’s your favourite Doctor Who technobabble?
“So, if you could keep that box over there and bring it over here, that [bigger] box would fit inside this [smaller] one.”
27. Have you watched other TV shows exclusively because of the presence of Doctor Who actors?
No. I might have given shows a chance that I wouldn’t have otherwise though.
28. Have you met any of the actors?
28a. Travelled to any filming locations?
Yes. The Blue Boar in Aldbourne is a nice pub about a mile away from one of my previous homes. It was also The Cloven Hoof in The Daemons
29. What do you think of “The Curse of Fatal Death”?
Utterly fantastic except for the fart jokes.
30. Do you have any fannish opinions that you think are fairly unpopular?
Nothing springs to mind
31. What’s your favourite pairing?
Vicki / Steven
32. What pairing(s) won’t you touch with a really long pole?
Adric / Tegan